This site provides links to other web sites. These may include links to web sites operated by other government agencies,
nonprofit organizations and/or private businesses. Neither the City of Lawton, nor any agency, officer, or employee of the City of
Lawton warrants the accuracy, timeliness or reliability of any information published by this system, nor endorses any content, viewpoints,
products, or services linked to or from this system, and shall not be held liable for any losses caused by reliance on the accuracy,
reliability or timeliness of such information. Portions of such information may be incorrect or not current. Any person or entity
that relies on any information obtained from this system does so at his or her or its own risk.
© 2004-2014 City of Lawton Iowa.
All rights Reserved.
The City of Lawton is located on the western edge of Iowa in Woodbury County. We are just seven miles east of Sioux City, Iowa, with
Highway 20 running along the southern edge of greater Lawton.
Originally the name of our town was Truxton. According to clippings
from the Moville Mail back in November of 1901, an area farmer, Joseph Law, claimed to have naming rights of the city granted to him
by the Railroad. At the time he deeded the property over to the town, the town was renamed "Lawton". Lawton celebrated her Centennial
in June of 2004. A complete history of Lawton has been compiled in the Lawton Community History book.
The 2010 census lists the
population of Lawton at 908. We are considered a "bedroom community" with our close proximity to Sioux City. Many new homes have been
built within the past decade, and several more are currently being built. Our population increased by over 30% this past
Welcome to Lawton, Iowa 51030